Thursday 23 June 2011

London love

Some days I love London, sometimes I hate it, and sometimes I have to pinch myself to believe that I have actually lived here for almost five years now. I had a wander around the city yesterday on my day off. I went to Tower Bridge to pick up my new glasses, and as the tube station was closed due to a fire, I decided to walk up to Oxford Circus. It was pouring down with rain, warm summer rain streaming down, and all around me people were seeking shelter in shops, under trees and in doorways. I had my lovely spotty umbrella, and I don't mind getting wet, so I was enjoying walking down the empty streets all on my own. It was one of those lovely days, when you suddenly notice pretty little details on buildings, see someone helping an old lady across the street, someone smiles at you on the tube (which is pretty rare, I can tell you) and the world seems like such a nice place. I walked from Tower Bridge along the river to Borough Market, along the Southbank past The Globe and Tate Modern, to the National Theatre and the Southbank Centre.


Outside the Southbank Centre there is a temporary 'sea side', as a part of the Thames Festival, and they have put up little beach huts with different exhibitions in them. I really loved this one called 'Literature of the sea'. Why not sit down and read for a while?

Walking along the Thames is really one of my favourite things to do in London, and particularly if it is the middle of the week and you can avoid all the tourists. Worth doing if you're in London!

Hope you are all having a good week!

1 comment: